Friday, March 12, 2010

Giver. Adventurer. Organizer. Thinker

A' giver' is interpersonal, 'feeling' and idealistic.

An 'adventurer' is classified as imaginative, experimental and active.

'Organizers' are predictable, dependable and confident.

'Thinkers' are mathematical, explicit and realistic. . . (pff)

Taking a test to learn and understand one's learning style(s). That's how I spent my Friday night. Fascinating stuff.

I'm all about self-improvement, maybe that's the 'adventurer' in me. I scored the highest as a 'giver'. I pride myself on these qualities. Sometimes it gets me into trouble though. If I give and give and give, what's left for me?

Everyone always tells me, "Clare, you are always off on another adventure!" or "Where to next Clare?" I guess how I'm perceived is in fact, who I am.

To say I rate low as a 'thinker,' however, is an insult. I think, I just don't think about mathematical equations in my spare time. I am realistic. Yet It depends on the context and when it's necessary to be realistic, and when it's not. To say someone is organized does not always imply confidence. Some of the most organized people I've met also tend to be insecure wrecks.

So perhaps labelling is a dangerous act. No one fits into one category that we can call "thinker" or "athlete," because we are all a bit of everything. Yet, we will always try to fit someone else, and even ourselves, into a box, just so that we can sleep at night.

So the next time you decide to brush off someone who is anal, over-achieving, 'type-A,' take an extra minute to get to know them.

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the blogosphere, love. glad to have you around. x.

    ReplyDelete